4/22/2014

Do You See My Scars?


Scars. They speak volumes. Sometimes, at a volume that is so uncomfortable. Growing up a clumsy kid, I have my share of physical scars. One scar that stands out is on my left knee. It happened when I was 8 years old. I decided to go play in a creek that my parents had repeatedly told me not to do, but of course, I did anyways and as I was climbing out of the creek I slipped in mud and slashed open my knee on the edge of a rock. I don't remember much of that day but the moments that stick out to me is the image of my dad carrying me out as I looked down at my leg completely covered in blood. I then remember the ER visit that I spent most of the time screaming at the top of my lungs because of the procedures it took to clean and stitch up that wound. Today in my 20's I am reminded of that day every time I look down at my knee. Sometimes when my hand brushes over my scar I can feel my body clenching as those scenes replay over in my head. Scars are not just something that sit there as a reminder, they are a constant flashback. Scars can be haunting, painful and just plain ugly. They are a reminder of what happened, who we were or what we did. People say scars bring healing but there are some scars that have made wounds so deep that we can not simply "get over it." A scar can dramatically change someones life. Scars are also a reminder of "what could have been." It makes the victim ask themselves what would I look like without these scars? How would the dynamics of my life have changed if I had never been wounded? To be honest, scars are more painful than people realize. And they are more powerful than we give credit. They can basically force us to walk around with a huge caution sign above our heads. Scars do two things: 



They paralyze you:
Scars have the power keep you stagnant. They will lie to you and tell you, you're still hurt. You see, while I may clinch when my hand brushes against my scar, it does not bring me any harm. I can rub the scar all I want, and it won't open. It's not going to harm me. But if I believed my emotions, I would stop any motion because I didn't want to feel pain. Ask yourself: how many opportunities, open doors, life goals, and dreams have you stopped pursuing because of your scars? You stopped your motion because you are afraid the wound would open. Take a look! Your wound is only a scar now. Scars are scars, they don't open once they are healed.

Scars make you feel ugly:
However much our life scars can be hidden, they actually bring out huge complexities. Have you ever met someone who is insecure about a mark or scar they physically carry? It's as if it dominates their life. It's funny how exposed we think our scars are. There are some things people would have never known you’ve gone thru but because you walk around exposing your scars, it becomes visible. Instead of your scar being a reminder of where you were and how far you've come, it actually becomes your identity. It's what people begin to identify you as, "That's the girl who..." Scars were never meant to become someones identity. Your name isn't "Scar". A scar is a indication of damage but it is also a sign or consequence of healing.
I have to be honest and say that lately God has been asking me to look at my scars. Every scar I bear is a reminder of the battle I fought. You see, scars are a indication of damage but also a sign of healing. What brings healing? A fight. When you are sick, your body has to fight against the bacteria that tries to overtake you. What we don't recognize often enough is that while we loathe our scars, we also fought for those scars. We fought to be healed, set free, and delivered. Why are you letting a scar keep you from rejoicing? Why are you stopping your motion when your wounds are closed? Why are you walking around with a caution sign when your scars are not even exposed? It's time to love your scars. Yes, love them! Why? Because you fought to get them. You deserve to enjoy the victories your scars brought you. What did it take for you to earn those scars?
We can sit and compare scars all day, but no scars could ever compare to the ultimate price Jesus paid. He fought a battle no one will ever be able to match and that was the battle to win your heart. At the end of the day, if you can not find motivation in your scars, ask yourself: am I bringing glory to the scars that Jesus bore for me? Don’t waste His scars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment